I caught up with Erin Mayo, editor of Mother & Baby Magazine for a quick chat about reading to your children in follow up to a beautiful article in this month's issue called 'Once upon a time...' I asked her at what age we should start reading to our children, the benefits of reading from a young age and what books do the Mother & Baby team recommend?
Studies have found there's a difference in the neurological activity in the brains of children who are read to compared to the brains of children who are not. A study has shown that children who are read to can lead to a raise in IQ points by up to 6 points, amazing!
Have a listen to find out some of the other benefits of reading to your bub from a young age.
Here's Our Book Recommendations...
Mother & Baby Magazine recommends
- The Gruffalo - a great use of rhyme and very imaginative for the kids
- Going on a bear hunt - one you can act out!
- Hairy Maclary - another great rhyming book!
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar - one we all loved when we were young
- Eat Peach Pear Plum - a tongue twister and great for getting kids to join in and go through the words with you
Little Rockers Radio recommends:
- The Hairy Maclary Series
- Good Night Moon
- The BIG HUG Series - beautiful for when your children are kinder age and older
What books do you recommend - would love you to share them!!