We are so unbelievably lucky, and I am forever grateful that we have been born into a part of the world where we celebrate the end of the year, and welcome in the New Year with food in our bellies and a roof over our heads. For this, we are lucky as the greater percentage of the world’s population do not have these basics. So whenever I look at achievements and set resolutions I always do it knowing that I am so lucky to be doing so…
For some reason I have found it hard to reflect on the past year and feel satisfied that I have achieved everything I wanted. Maybe my list was just too long??
I received an email from a lady I met just recently through Little Rockers and she mentioned I must be enjoying a break after what has been a very successful year for Little Rockers Radio... I honestly had not stopped to think about the successes as I have been so focussed on growing and developing more programs so that we can help Mums, Dads and Carers in their daily lives and help to equip children with the tools now that help them to grow into happy and healthy grown-ups.
Her comments got me reflecting on 2015, and here’s a brief recap…
- We started the year with approximately 30,000 listener sessions a month and finished topping 112,000.
- We partnered with The Five Mile Press to bring a range of amazing Australian authors to children Australia wide through their on-air readings for Story Time.
- We signed with Australian Radio Network (one of Australia’s leading broadcasters) to be the first Australian Children’s Radio Station to be on iHeartRadio.
- We were featured in The Herald Sun, The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Daily Telegraph, Time Out Melbourne, Little Angel Magazine, The Adelaide Advertiser, That’s Life Magazine and The Project TV on Channel 10. Yep, it really did seem that radio for kids (without the commercial clutter) is big news.
- I was lucky enough to be nominated in the 2015 St George Banking AusMumpreneur Awards and was dumbfounded and surprised to be awarded Bronze in the Emerging Business Award. (Thanks to my lovely business buddy, Doan, for nominating me in the first place).
- We launched regular conversations with Wonderwoman Children to talk about infant first aid and safety. Our regular conversations with Nataly covered important topics such as battery safety, choking, drowning, emergency situations and so much more.
- We continued to add lots of new fun-key yoga programs throughout the year, thanks to the amazing people at Hey Dee Ho Music and fun-key yoga.
- We interviewed some amazing children’s entertainers, Mums and Dads in Business and authors - Shelley Craft, Justine Clarke, Jimmy Giggle, Natalie Bassingthwaighte, Cameron Williams, Shona Innes, Peter Taylor and more…
- We continued to receive such beautiful feedback from listeners on how we are a positive part of their lives and are helping in some small way, either during the day or at night.
- Undoubtedly my proudest achievement has been running the first Little Rockers RED NOSE Disco in conjunction with SIDS & Kids. Over 20,000 children danced in their Child Care Centres on Red Nose Day 2015 to the Little Rockers Radio Disco and raised money and awareness for SIDS & Kids. I am so pleased to say this will be running again in 2016, with some super exciting announcements coming soon.
What amazing achievements, all completely not possible without the wonderful community of Mums, Dads & Carers that switch us on daily and businesses that have supported us throughout! THANK YOU!!!
Of course, this is all just a part of my life as I work on Little Rockers Radio from home, while working part-time and also raising my 2 beautiful munchkins.
Have I been the perfect Mum in 2015? Hmmm, debatable, VERY debatable. Firstly, I don’t believe in the notion of a perfect Mum, there’s just the best we can be in our set up (hopefully, but not always, without the judgement from others). My struggles through 2015 will probably continue to be the same struggles in 2016…
- I wish I had been there for more school activities
- I wish I had done more craft activities with the kids, especially my daughter who loves craft!
- I wish I had been able to go to their Irish Dancing and Tennis lessons (on Wednesday nights when I work late)
- I wish I had washed their sheets more
- I wish I had washed their hair more (they both hate it)
- I wish I had given them a broader range of vegetables
- The list of things to be guilty about really does go on and on
Therefore, in 2016 I hope to stop beating myself up with guilty thoughts that will probably have no negative effect on them long term.
After all, they know how much I love them as I tell them about 20 times a day at least and probably plant them with too many kisses and cuddles (“Muuuuum, embarrassing”). They are growing up to be well mannered, well adjusted, happy and confident kids, and Luke and I couldn’t be prouder.
So that’s my simple (#sorrynotsimple) personal goal for 2016.
My goals for 2016 for Little Rockers Radio are:
- Continue spreading the LRR word and helping Mums, Dads and Carers nationally.
- Deliver on the LRR mission of helping to raise happy and healthy (both physically and mentally) children through programming (yoga, meditation, exercise, music and more) that helps them develop the tools that allow them to become happy and healthy grown-ups.
- Help make the Little Rockers RED NOSE Disco a super duper successful event that raises lots of funds and awareness for SIDS & Kids, so they can continue to do the amazing research and offer the much needed support to bereaved families, like they did ours.
Finally, I am kicking off the first day of 2016 with a new program announcement…
After receiving so much feedback and positive comments from listeners on how they love the bilingual music (Italian and English mainly), I am happy to announce we are launching ‘MUSIC FROM AROUND THE WORLD: Exposing children to other languages’, on Monday 1st February 2016.
Each day at 3pm there will be a short feature of children’s music in different languages.
- Monday – Italian
- Tuesday – French
- Wednesday – Chinese Mandarin
- Thursday – Spanish
- Friday – German
I hope you enjoy it.
There’s so much more coming in 2016, I just have to remain patient before I make any announcements (something I have learned the hard way in 2015)!
To you, I wish you, your family and friends a 2016 that is filled with health, love and happiness, and less doubts about whether we are doing things right!